Thursday 12 July 2012

Shiny Shard

Im not sure whats happened to the last week and Ive got a bit behind on the 'ol blogging.  So,  a week ok today for those of you who were unaware was the official opening of the tallest building in Europe, London's Shard.  To affirm the presence of the collosal structure (just incase you had failed to notice it already) all 309.6 metres of of steel and glass were illuminated with multi-coloured lights, green lasers were blasted out from the sides and search lights swept around the perimeter in a light show extravaganza that began just after 10pm.

I decided that this would make a good subject for a timelapse project that I am currently putting together detailing London over the summer months and featuring some of the unusual sights of "2012" alongside more mundane occurrences.  Unfortunately, I was shooting elsewhere in the evening and couldn't make it down in time to get a great position, ending up at the west side of The Tower walls.  All the same it was definitely an interesting experience and posed a couple of unique challenges, namely how to capture the lights moving smoothly but still with that time-lapse feel.   I settled for a 2.5 second interval with an exposure of 1 second.  Looking at the footage I think I should have gone for a shorter interval to make things a touch smoother but the buffer on my 20D combined with the low ambient light meant that this was about as quick as I could go.  The results are still pretty exciting though and it is certainly not everyday you see something like this so when I finish processing it the shot will definitely find a spot in the edit.




No comments:

Post a Comment